CHS Training recognises the importance of protecting your privacy and personal information. CHS Training is an ‘APP entity’ bound by the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) in the Privacy Act 1988(Cth) (the Privacy Act), which regulates how agencies collect, use, disclose and store personal information, including sensitive information, and how individuals may access and correct records containing their personal information. Werespectyourrightsto privacyunderthe PrivacyActandwecomply withallthe Privacy Act’srequirementsinrespectof thecollectionandmanagementofyour personalinformation.
This documentis ourprivacypolicyand ittellsyouhowwe collect, use, store and disclose your personalinformation and the way in which you can access and correct your personal information.
What personal information we collect
CHS Training collects personal information that is reasonably necessary for, or directly related to, its functions and activities pursuant to the Student Identifiers Act 2014. CHS Training will only use and disclose your personal information for the purposes it was collected for and in accordance with the Privacy Act and NVR Standard 3.6d.
The type of personal information we may collect includes, but is not limited to:
- mailing and/or street address;
- contact details;
- age and/or birth date;
- sensitive information as defined by the Privacy Act (such as information about your country of birth);
- city or town of birth;
How we collect your personal information
When collecting personal information, we may collect it in ways including, but not limited to:
- directly from you;
- during conversations with you and our representatives via telephone and in person;
- through written correspondence with you, including correspondence via email; and
- when you complete an application.
How we collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information
We collect personal information about you so that we can perform our functions and activities and to provide the best possible quality of customer service.
We collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information to:
- identify you;
- application for a Unique Student Identifier on your behalf;
- verify a Unique Student Identifier;
- create an authenticated Vocational Education Training (VET) transcript;
- may be disclosed to:
Commonwealth and State/Territory government departments and agencies and statutory bodies performing functions relating to VET for:
- the purposes of administering and auditing Vocational Education and Training (VET), VET providers and VET programs;
- education related policy and research purposes; and
- to assist in determining eligibility for training subsidies;
- VET Regulators to enable them to perform their VET regulatory functions;
- current and former Registered Training Organisations to enable them to deliver VET courses to the individual, meet their reporting obligations under the VET standards and government contracts and assist in determining eligibility for training subsidies;
- schools for the purposes of delivering VET courses to the individual and reporting on these courses;
- the National Centre for Vocational Education Research for the purpose of creating authenticated VET transcripts, resolving problems with USIs and for the collection, preparation and auditing of national VET statistics;
- researchers for education and training related research purposes;
- any other person or agency that may be authorised or required by law to access the information;
- any entity contractually engaged by the Student Identifiers Registrar to assist in the performance of his or her functions in the administration of the USI system; and
- will not otherwise be disclosed without your consent unless authorised or required by or under law.
Once CHS Training receives information from you, the information is maintained in a secure environment. Your personal information will not be released unless the law permits it or your permission is granted.
We take reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is protected from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We may hold your information in either electronic or hard copy form.
In accordance with Section 11 of the Student Identifiers Act 2014 Cth (SI Act), we will securely destroy personal information which we collect from you solely for the purpose of applying for a USI on your behalf as soon as practicable after the USI application has been made or the information is no longer needed for that purpose, unless we are required by or under any law to retain it.
How to contact us about a possible breach of privacy
You may also make a complaint to the Information Commissioner about an interference with privacy pursuant to the Privacy Act, which includes the following:
- misuse or interference of or unauthorised collection, use, access, modification or disclosure of USIs; and
- a failure by CHS Training to destroy personal information collected by you only for the purpose of applying for a USI on your behalf.
CHS Training’s Responsibilities
CHS Training takes the management and security of personal information seriously.
All stages of the USI data transaction process adhere to strict data management protocols. These protocols are developed in accordance with local and national legislation, including:
- the NSW Personal Information Protection Act 1998;
- the Right to Information Act 2009;
- the Privacy Act 1988; and
- the Archives Act 1983
A person is provided with the legally enforceable right to be provided with information in the possession of a public authority, provided that it is not exempt information. The right to information is provided under the Right to Information Act 2009.